Skip to main content

CASE STUDY: Oculus VR

As a start-up growing at hyper speed, Oculus VR recognized it was at risk of losing its inherent cultural traits: a closely knit team of equal intellectuals, where constant chatter and close proximity kept ideas flowing and colliding constantly, sometimes literally sticking to walls, as new prototypes spilled continuously out of 3D printers. And all of this happened while a telepresence robot digitally connected one Oculus engineer working in Dallas to team members in California. Their existing space was not working for them. Furnished with rigid, linear benching, conversations were constrained, conducted standing up, or leaning over others. Product Lead Joe Chen was frustrated that it didn’t really foster the right kind of interaction; “accidental collaborations” that happen spontaneously were too infrequent. There weren’t enough spots for quiet conversations, either. He wanted to enhance the connectivity and impromptu discussions that are inherent to the company’s success. They also needed more room to accommodate their rapidly growing work force, but wanted the space to better support the way they worked, too.

Oculus VR was a perfect candidate to beta test a new product line that was in development at Herman Miller called Public Office Landscape. Designed by Yves BĂ©har and fuseproject, the line addresses needs uncovered by Herman Miller’s Insight and Exploration group, which had been studying workplaces around the world to observe different ways in which collaborations occur.

Researchers had found that what was once secondary to work—camaraderie, collaboration, interaction—had increasingly become primary. By differentiating the subtleties of how, when, where, and why people connect, the team had explored collaborative work behaviors and identified 10 Modes of Work, such as Converse, Chat, Huddle, Co-Create. They then defined a range of Settings—spaces optimized to support work and interaction—that enable these Modes of Work and help form the foundation to a concept called Living Office. Each Living Office is unique, based on the distinctive purpose, character, and activities of its inhabitants. It is affected by the culture of the company or country it’s in, as well as influences such as the needs and work styles of its workers.

One of the first steps in achieving this goal was for Brian Green, Research Lead with Herman Miller’s Insight and Exploration group, to observe people at Oculus VR engaging in the various Modes of Work. What he saw were “people who interacted with each other many, many times a day, (exponentially) more so than any other company I’ve seen,” he notes. “These were typically short, two-to-three minute conversations about a task at hand or getting guidance on something.” Chen says Green’s many observations about their specific work habits, in addition to Herman Miller’s overall research, helped them identify “overall topography” that would support both the functions and culture of the company. “It’s not just the furniture; it’s how you use that furniture to help people perform better and make them most effective,” he says. “It’s less about the furniture and more about the layout. We just want to do the best work possible; we keep what helps us and get rid of what doesn’t.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

WELCOME MESSAGE

Hello Everyone,                    My name is Kabir Jhamnani, I am seventeen years old and I am from Hyderabad India. I have come to Leicester UK for my Degree in Computer Science (BSc). My hobbies are to swim and watch movies. I like knowing facts about about new technologies. I have a lot of interests in sports, I am a swimmer and have participated in many competitions.   

Change of my topic

I have changed my research topic to ' Development of VR (virtual reality) and AR (augmented reality). The reason of change of my topic is because I had selected development of smartphones but I feel the smartphones are developed enough to carry out all the basic and smart works. Development of VR and AR are one of the main topics in IT and also I would give a lot of information from my research and would learn about the new technologies, that's the reason I have changes my topic.

Reflection on my software skills

I would like to talk about my software skills, in my secondary school I had started learning programming which started with Visual basic and HTML. I  had also learned how to edit a photograph using Photoshop. Once I was done with my schooling I stared learning C and C++, I have also done a course in basics of Ethical Hacking using Kali Linux. In my first semester at DMU I learned how to create and develop a website using Wix and finally I have started learning basic python programming language.